Whether its a car ride to see relatives or a fun weekend getaway, make sure you’re prepared to enjoy the whole weekend including the car trip. Car rides can be the perfect excuse to spend some quality time chatting, or just zone out to good tunes while enjoying the scenery.
Sitting too long can be uncomfortable for anyone. As you get along in months in your pregnancy, make sure that you are ready to enjoy a good road trip! Alternatively if you don’t think the car you own is comfortable enough for a long car journey, look into Family Car Hire so the car is a bit more spacious and considerate to family needs.
- Check with your OB to make sure travel is a good idea.
- Keep a couple water bottles handy in the trunk. Rehydrating boosts energy levels.
- Also keep a couple snacks ready in your car in case you are feeling hungry. Granola bars or apples are quick, store well and create hardly a mess.
- Take an extra jacket or shirt for layering options.
- For longer road trips, travel with someone else – especially as you are further along in your pregnancy.
- Wear your seatbelt low and snug around your hips.
- If your traveling during your third trimester, take along a copy of your prenatal records.
- Get out of the car frequently for “scenic” breaks and to walk around and stretch.
Prepare in advance and consider avoiding travels to places that go to places too remote. If you’re sharing the ride with someone else, take a pillow and catch a short nap. Enjoy these pre-baby travels!